Monday, January 3, 2011

Aikido from Tomiki to Aikikai

I have always been interested in Aikido. In 2001, I joined a dojo for six months, which was Aikikai ( a later variation of Aikido). I quit because I hurt my hand falling to the mat, I made the mistake of trying to catch myself instead of falling correctly, and things were changing in my life. I had recently been laid off from my programming job, I had moved so that the dojo was a long drive, and it was easier to be on the couch.
In 2007 I started again. I joined a Tomiki Aikido dojo in Houston. It sounded interesting. This type of training can be very formal. I liked the people in the dojo and stayed long enough to be promoted to second level (nikyu), which is two levels below a black belt. I liked it but for various personal reasons I wanted something different.
In June I joined an Aikikai school. My experiences with Tomiki have helped me but it has also been a sea change.
Aikido has an emphasis on posture and using the large muscles. Working through it has improved my golf game.

No comments: